A Spiritual Journey to Eradicate Blindness
Noted Eye Specialist and development activist, Dr. Sharad Lakhotia’s story has potential to inspire many professionals and business leaders.
Dr. Sharad Lakhotia
Jt Secretary India Medical Association (AMS) HQ
Former president, Delhi Ophthalmological Society
Dr. Sharad Lakhotia is the promoter of ‘Lakhotia Eye centre & Laser Institute’ in Delhi and is a renowned Ophthalmologist. He was an avid student and topped in both graduation and post graduate exam in Ophthalmology and studied on merit scholarship throughout.
Despite being from an affluent taxation Lakhotia family, he had a bent towards social work. He started his social work since the days of graduation and after doing his MBBS in 1979-80; he started doing charity Eye camp surgery in Bengal, Assam, Orissa, Bihar and U.P. as part of Free Eye Camp surgery team. He did around 10.000 surgeries and was overwhelmed by plight of needy rural poor blind persons. At that time he decided that he would dedicate his life for eye care for masses. During his tenure abroad, he received several lucrative offers, but he junked them for own country and to serve mankind. While performing his charitable and societal tasks, he never took any help and rather supported father to help weaker people.
In 1995, Dr. Lakhotia formed an organization under the name ‘Eye Care Awareness Foundation’ to execute his social tasks. This organisation was instrumental in implementing several social and charitable including the following.
- More than 1000 Free Eye Camp at different locations and did thousands of free Eye Surgery to patients.
- More than 1000 public lectures at schools, Leo clubs Lion clubs, Rotary clubs and other forums.
- Organized Human Care Award for Medical professionals in 1999, where the Chief Minister gave the award.
- Organized free Eye screening programme for more than 100 school of Delhi & NCR. Later on subsidized treatment was given to them.
- Appeared more than 100 times in different channels of TV and spoke on Eye Awareness.
- Running Ophthalmologist club where 300 Eye surgeons are involved in Eye Care Awareness activity.
- He launched school children’s Ambassador of Eye awareness programs where 50000 children were rolled into ambassador for Eye Awareness.
- In 2001, along with Delhi Medical Association & Leo Club, organized screening camp for glaucoma for 1 lakh person in Delhi.
- In 2007, organized international conference of ophthalmologist at India Habitat Centre & gave awards to doctors involved in social work.
The present PM Shri Narendra Modi had visited Dr. Lakhotia in 2000 and had appreciated his social work
Dr Lakhotia has served key positions and including, President of Delhi Ophthalmological Society (2009-10) He received ‘Human Care Award of Millennium’ in 1999 and Top Doctors of India award in 2011, received Best Ophthalmologist award in 2014. He is also Guest Editor of Book ‘Femtosecond Laser Techniques & Technology’.
He is a humble person & mixes well with all class of society and motivates them for social work. Seeing his dedication many prominent people joined his mission to eradicate blindness. He has aspiration to develop a world class charitable Eye Hospital in NCR region where patients from 300 km radius could be served. Though he started alone, he willingly seeks help from people from all walks of life to support his cause. The money generated from paying patients will be utilized for poor people for free of cost world class ophthalmic services.
- Received Best Ophthalmologist award in Delhi/NCR in 2014 by Medgate.
- Guest Editor of Book” Femtosecond laser Techniques & Technology.
- Jt Secretary India Medical Association (AMS) HQ.