Shikhar Organisation for Social Development (SOSD) was initiated on 13th November 2001. SOSD is a developmental organization run by a group of professionals facilitating community development initiatives since it came into existence. Their strategy is to empower the vulnerable sections of the society by building its capacities through education, vocational training and skill–based development.
The main aim of SOSD is to work for the cause of human development focusing on the less privileged sections of the society with the objective to provide experiential learning and vocational training to empower and develop weaker sections of the society. Their prime focus is on developing self- dependence in women and children to enable them to lead more effective and satisfactory lives.
SOSD achievements are due to our partners in development and to the people who make up SOSD i.e. our committed staff everywhere, the volunteers (who give so much of their time) and the donors (who are generous enough to make field visits in the community). What they do makes the difference, “Turning a passion for justice into effective action.” We are accountable to both the donors/funding agencies and to the people we assist, to make sure that the the resources are optimally and well utilized in consonance with the work targets and objectives. Our aim is to maximize the quality and effectiveness of our work and to make the benefits and services available to most downtrodden in the social ladder.
A Computer Literacy Programme for underprivileged girls.
Operational Area: Delhi, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Rajasthan, Haryana.
Project Ishita started in 2005 with the support of SAP Labs India ltd.It provides elementary knowledge of MS office and internet. Shikhar helps the trainees to develop their skills in commanding computer to enrich their future plans. Till date more than 4000 girls have been successfully trained under this project. Through these courses Shikhar aims at enhancing the computer abilities and hence opportunities for the poor and underprivileged girls. Apart from enhancing computer skills the centre also focuses on personality development
• To enhance computer training opportunity to students from underprivileged and poor unemployed girls
• To provide adequate knowledge of computer.
• Personality Development of the student: This program not only focuses on the syllabus but also pull out the hidden abilities and inner power of the student. Basically it tries to bring out and build the personality of the student.
• Computer course at the nominal fee: Providing computer course at very nominal and affordable fees.
• To provide computer literacy for the schedule tribes schedule castes and OBC & Rural background in targeted area.
Centre for Women’s Condensed Course
“Centre for Women’s Condense Course” is an initiative for the up-liftmen of girls from the under-privileged section of the society by providing essential education to enable them to get connected with the main stream. Deprived women from all sections who are economically weaker, minorities, backward classes and SC / ST reside in slums and semi-urban areas, living below poverty line and educationally, socially and economically backward can avail the benefit of the scheme. Under the project, they appear for the board exams of Xth and XIIth from the Jamia Board (Central University) because of its close vicinity to the intervention area. Along with the academic support many extra-curricular activities like sports, NCC and self-defense training etc. is also provided to the children. The program was started 6 years back with only 35 students but it has gained momentum drastically with almost 500 beneficiaries associated with the project now.
Achievements till date:
• More than 300 girl’s students are getting education from Shikhar every year
• Shikhar is the only school within the demographic area which has came up with many events throughout the year and gave opportunity to each student to develop their talents in different areas.
• Also supported pass out students for further admission and helped them in getting scholarship for example- Noor Sabha and Mahira Scored more than 85% in 12th who were rewarded with scholarship of Rs18,000/-
• Shikhar students are not only giving good school results but also doing a outstanding performance in Sports, NCC, Cultural activities, and also became finalist defeating some of the renowned schools in Zee Salam the Urdu infotainment channel.
• Economic upliftment as girl students can get part time jobs after school and continuing their higher education and to earn for themselves.
Ayesha Khursheed Memorial Vocational Training Centre
Shikhar started its Vocational Training Centre for girls with the objective to serve the deprived section of the society for skill development in 2001. Shikhar as an organization provides a platform to the weaker section of the society to get self independent and to develop an atmosphere of homeliness, where they can feel free to learn and share their thoughts and social needs. Training is provided in Tailoring, Cutting, Beautician, Jute Work, and Adda Work. Shikhar helps the trainees to develop their personality and inspires them to come forward and achieve greater successes by providing them a common platform through the centre. There are 600 beneficiaries of this project annually.
Coaching Centre for Integrated Courses
Shikhar is providing a facility of coaching centre for integrated courses for the drop out girls under this Project, Shikhar selects girls who dropped out from the school and coach them for the 10th and 12th classes examinations. There is also an arrangement of application forms and guidelines which helps them in submitting the forms as private candidates in Jamia Millia Islamia and Distant Learning Programs. The focus of this project is to re-integrate the drop-outs to the formal education system.
Project with Maruti Suzuki India:
Shikhar was the first NGO which aligned with Maruti Suzuki India (Gurgaon) CSR department in November 2007 and since then has come up with many different programmes for community development like:
• Employability Programme
• Health awareness programme (School health programme, Eye Camp, Women health programme)
• Vocational training Programme
• Social Awareness
• Educational programme
• Scholarship programme
Reliance – Shikhar Employability Programme (SEP)
A pioneering initiative to enhance employability for the youth being developed by Shikhar & Reliance Anil Dhirubahi Ambani Group will help lakhs of students to access quality oriented training aimed at employment in a variety of sectors. The program will run on blended learning format ensuring latest concepts and inputs are made available to students. The Youth Employability programme will supports young people aged between 15 and 18 years old, who are willing to make a career in Sales, Customer Care & Call Centre. In the first stage the aim of the programme is to make 500 individuals employable & self confident over a period of ten months. The Employment Programme is piloted at the training centers in Navi Mumbai and later will be expanded to other places in Maharastra and rest of India.
Vocational Training Center
Shikhar started its Vocational Training Center for girls with the objective to serve the deprived section of the society; Shikhar’s targeted areas are Okhla village and its neighborhood. SOSD tends to develop an atmosphere of homeliness, where they feel free to learn and share their thoughts and social needs. Shikhar helps the trainees to develop their personality and inspires them to come forward and achieve greater successes. Also help in the upliftment of the socio-economic status of the women by earning their livelihood through these vocational courses. We run Beauty Culture course, Cutting and tailoring, Handmade Jute products and Hand made Bags.
Career Guidance & Employment Centre
Shikhar launched a career guidance and employment Centre to support the unemployed girls from the lower middle class section of the society. This centre provides an atmosphere for understanding the scope of jobs and career opportunities. Under this project Shikhar invites people from Industry and arranges an interaction with the students and unemployed youth for preparation of interviews and searching right employment opportunities.
Summer Activity Camp
Each year a summer camp is organized by M. F. Jamia nursery school in association with Shikhar Organization For Social Development atits campus in Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi.
4. Craft work based on waste materials and other environment friendly items.
5. Magic show
6. Fun games
7. Personality development
8. Awareness camp based on social issues
9. Development of moral values
Awards and accolades
• Self- Sustainability
• Computer Literacy
• Community development and Health
• Women and Child empowerment
• Overall development of the society
• Promote cultural and moral values
• Environment protection and enhancement.
• Adventure sports
• To be the best organization with world class set of systems to serve the nation.
• To be the implementer of the tasks whatever set to be with utmost level of dedication, sincerity and integrity with a greater Impact on the underprivileged section of society in general and for women and children in particular.
• A National Level NGO Established in 2001
• Registered under Societies Act 1860
• 80 G and 12 A Income Tax Exemption
• Formed by professionals and social activists.
• Touched more than 2.30 lacs lives during last 12 years through education and vocational training.
A dedicated Team of 48 consists full time staff including Teachers, Computer Trainers, Employability Trainers, Vocational Trainers, Sports Experts, Health Experts and 10 supporting staff members and good number of part time volunteers.
• 18 Centres located in the following 5 States across the country
• Centre for Women’s Condense Course- Delhi
• Youth Employability Centres- Delhi
• Ayesha Khursheed Vocational Training Centre- Delhi
• Ishita Computer Training Program- Delhi, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Karnataka, Haryana
• Employment Bureau- Mumbai, Delhi &Rajashthan
• Shikhar Support Centre for Women Empowerment- Delhi
• SAP Youth Employability Centre- Mumbai
• APEX Advance Training Centre-Delhi
• Delhi Police Public Library Centre for Coaching- Delhi
• Manha Sports activity Centre for Slum Children- Maharashtra
• Mariyam Skill Development Centre for Women, Mewat, Haryana.
• Virender Sehwag Rural Vocational Training Centre- Maharashtra
Area of work
• Vocational Training
• Computer Education
• Outbound & Inbound Trainings
• Basic Training
• Advance Training
• Employment Assistance
• Condense Course for Dropped Out Girls
• Implementation of CSR Projects for Corporate
• Vocational Trainings (Beauty & Culture, Cutting &Tailoring, Dress Making, Cooking & Serving)
• Data Entry Operators
• Waste Material Recycled Product Making
• Computer Literacy
• Income Generation
• Sports Development Activities
• Police Public Library
• Environment Awareness
• Social Awareness
• Communication & Personality Development
• Support to Centre for Mentally Challenged Children
• Coaching for Competitive Examinations
• Summer Camp: Specially for Underprivileged Children
• Health Awareness
• Self Defence Training
• Interior Designing/ Architecture Draftsmanship
• Social Event Managemnt
• Multimedia & Graphics
• Workshops & National Conference
• Govt. Approved Technical Courses: Air condition & Refrigeration, Electrician, Welding, Web designing, Hardware & Software etc.
Commitment for Commitment
• Shikhar has a 12 committing years of commitment with full of enthusiasm as a team of highly diverse and quality people guided by the eminent personalities.
• We commit a dedicated relationship towards IICA, Ministry of Corporate Affairs programme.
• UN Global Compact Network-India
• NIOS, Min. of HRD, Govt. of India