CSR footprint of RINL covers Environmental care, Education, Health, People care, Peripheral development, Cultural efflorescence, as a responsible corporate citizen and help during natural calamities.
Following are some major activities planned to continue for further coming year:
Sanjeevan: Cancer Detection Camps using 'Sanjeevan' Mobile Cancer detection van (provided by RINL), were organized at Rehabilitation colonies and peripheral villages of VSP and rural areas of Visakhapatnam, Vizianagaram and Srikakulam districts. The camps were organized through 'Lions Cancer Hospital'. 5560 people were tested and 93 suspected cases were referred for further treatment in Lions Cancer Hospital at Vizag city with a vision to cover maximum villages of coastal Andhra Pradesh.
Jaladhara: Environment friendly project 'Jaladhara' (3rd phase) for providing safe drinking water to nine tribal villages of Agency area of Vizag district was completed. This project provides filtered, perennial drinking water by gravitation method from a rain fed source at heights, without using electrical energy. About 3000 people were benefited. This project is being implemented through D Sarada Trust. The vision towards making the nearby tribal area people to get the best drinking water forever.
Arunodaya Special School: Free education and training/ therapy to differently abled children. RINL emphasises on imparting education to differently abled children also. Vocational workshops in different courses like candle making, paper bags making, preparation of cloth washing powder and craft items like diyas were organized for differently abled children (18 years and above) at Arunodaya Special School in RINL Township-Ukkunagaram, with the help of their parents which will enable these children to make themselves self reliant in their daily life stream with the help of their family – with a vision to make such persons sustainable.
Jan Shiksha: A CSR initiative in the area of empowerment of unemployed youth and women to become employable for their sustainable living. 60 youth at Chepalapalem village completed their Vocational training program in Light Motor Vehicle (LMV) Driving through Jan Shikshan Sansthan (JSS). 20 women completed their training in Arya work, at Chepalapalem village.
Saksham: Women Literacy programs to increase literacy rate among women, were commenced (one year program) in peripheral villages of VSP, through 'Pratham Education Foundation' at Chepalapalem village, Duvvada, Samatha Nagar, Durganagar and Rickshaw colony (near Pedagantyada Rehabilitation colony). 200 women benefited from this literacy program ensuring 100% literacy in identified villages.
Placement based skill development: Centres have been started through IL & FS Skill Development Corporation at Gonda district of Uttar Pradesh and at Vadlapudi Rehabilitation colony, Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh. Skill development training was imparted to 105 unemployed in various trades like Fitter, Welder, Sewing Machine Operation & Electrician and placement will be provided to all the trainees. It is envisaged to cover a total of 500 youth and women under this scheme.
Other important CSR initiatives during the year:
- Free education to economically poor students through Visakha Vimala Vidyalaya Schools at RINL Township-Ukkunagaram and Pedagantyada near to VSP. About 1500 students were given free education.
- Free education to 93 differently abled children through Arunodaya Special School, RINL Township-Ukkunagaram.
- Provided Desk-cum-Benches (60 nos.) and Teacher tables and Chairs at Government Junior college, Islampeta, a peripheral village of VSP.
- Introduced Digital Class Room concept in Visakha Vimala Vidyalayam schools at RINL Township – Ukkunagaram and Pedagantyada near to VSP, as part of improving educational standards. Around 2500 children are benefited.
- In Health Care area, the Company has organized general medical camp in association with Satya Sai Seva Samithi, doctors from Visakha Steel General Hospital (VSGH), in Chepalapalem village, nearest village to VSP. About 400 people attended the camp.
- Mega Sign Boards to bring awareness on HIV/AIDS were erected at 5 prominent locations in Visakhapatnam city.
- Distribution of Artificial limbs to 190 poor and needy people, in West Godavai district, through M/s Gurudeva Charitable Trust.
- Distribution of Tricycles to 144 poor and needy people, at Vizianagaram, Andhra Pradesh.
- Drinking water was supplied to 4 Rehabilitation colonies of VSP, i.e., Gangavaram, Pedagantyada, Vadlapudi and Aganampudi, for a period of 4 months in view of the thirsty summer. 36,000 litres of drinking water per day was supplied to each RH Colony reaching to 14,400 beneficiaries per day.
Helping hand to fire victims:
- Support was extended to Fire victims at Bheemunipatnam, Visakhapatnam district, for reconstruction of 56 houses gutted in a fire accident.
- Mock Safety Training facilities complex was provided at Industrial Training Institute (ITI), Gajuwaka, Visakhapatnam, for imparting safety training to VSP contract labour working at heights.
- Construction of Multi-purpose Halls at Pedagantyada and Gangavaram Rehabilitation colonies of VSP, has been taken up through CPWD.
* CSR in Mines area:
RINL has its captive mines for limestone, dolomite, manganese and sand. CSR activities in the Mines cover community and society living in and around the mines area.
- Vocational training was given to 195 unemployed youth and women at Jaggayyapet and Garbham villages (Andhra Pradesh) in courses like Auto Driving, Dress Making, Fabric painting and Embroidery for their sustainable living. Training is being given to 165 unemployed youth and women in courses like Electrician, Car driving, Machine Embroidery, Hand Embroidery, lume embroidery, Fabric painting, cutting and tailoring.
- Visteel Mahila Samithi (VMS), the ladies arm of RINL is executing several community development and societal support as part of CSR initiatives, on behalf of RINL. Some of the activities by VMS in the peripheral villages of VSP are mentioned below:
- Distribution of Plates, Glasses, Utensils, books, furniture and Sports items for MPP School at Gontivanipalem (Pedagantyada Mandal), ZPH School at Thotada (Visakhapatnam district), MPP School, Isarapuvanipalem (near Islampeta), Zilla Parishat High School at Konakoppaka, Mandal Praja Parishad (MPP) schools at Pedakorada and Balacheruvu of Pedagantyada RH Colony, Kondayyavalasa (Aganampudi RH Colony) and Maradadasaripeta (peripheral village of VSP), Zilla Parishad (ZP) High School, Pinamadaka of Aganampudi RH Colony.
- Medical Camp was organized for pregnant women at Araku (tribal area), Visahapatnam District about 122 pregnant women were examined and given medicines and nutritious food.
The Company had supported sports events like
- 2nd Vizag Steel Invitation Hockey Cup was organized. Teams from Bhilai, Rourkela and Andhra Pradesh had participated.
- 2nd Vizag Steel Inter Zonal Senior Women's National Boxing Championship at RINL Township – Ukkunagaram.
- 1st Dr.B.R.Ambedkar All India Invitation (Men) National Boxing Championship (2012-13) at Swarna Bharathi Indoor Stadium, Visakhapatnam.
- 24th A.P.Inter-District Roller Hockey Championship 2012'. 32 Teams had participated and about 1000 were the beneficiaries.
- Sports for MR children/special children were organized by Sports Department. About 230 children from ten Schools in Visakhapatnam participated in this mega sports event.
Awards for CSR:
- RINL has bagged the 'CII-ITC Sustainability Award 2012'. The Award was presented by CII-ITC Centre for Excellence, in a function held at New Delhi. The Award is in recognition of initiatives taken up by RINL for sustainable development.
- In recognition of its efforts in all the areas of community, RINL has bagged the 'IPE CSR Corporate Governance Award – 2012'. The Award was presented by Institute of Public Enterprise (IPE), Hyderabad, in a function held at Mumbai. The Award consists of a Statuette and Citation in recognition of valuable contribution made by RINL practices.
- RINL bagged the 'Corporate Governance & Sustainability Vision Award 2012'. The Award was presented by Indian Chamber of Commerce, Kolkata, in a function held at New Delhi.
AP Choudhary: the multi-tasking CMD
Amrendra Prasad Choudhary assumed charge as the Chairman cum Managing Director (CMD) of Rashtriya Ispat Nigam Limited on 1st August 2011. Before this, he was Director (Projects) at RINL since June 2009. He was earlier Executive Director (Projects) at the Corporate Office of Steel Authority of India Limited (SAIL). Well known in the steel industry for his multi-tasking skills, Choudhary made significant contribution in the financial and business restructuring of the industry, championing the cost reduction initiatives. He has the unique mastery of both, flat and long products, and has played a pivotal role in the strategy formulation of the Indian steel industry.
Choudhary, a graduate in Mechanical Engineering from MIT Muzaffarpur and a post graduate from the Regional Engineering College, Rourkela and the university topper. He started his career as Management Trainee in SAIL's Rourkela Plant in 1978 and has 35 years of excellent career in the Steel industry. Choudhary has worked both at the Plant and Corporate level and is well versed with all facets: Operation, Projects, Finance, Commercial, Strategic Management and Policy formulation.
He is the Chairman of the Bird Group of Companies which includes OMDC, BSLC & EIL. Under Choudhary's dynamic leadership, RINL doubled its capacity to 6.3 mtpa. The 'Directional Plan' to expand to 20 mtpa in phases was also his brainchild. RINL will become the largest Steel Plant at a single location in India.
The RINL CMD has won many awards for RINL like the National Sustainability Award, Energy Efficiency Award, Green Manufacturing Excellence Award, Green Rating Award by the Centre for Science & Technology, CII-ITC Sustainability Award 2012, Corporate Governance Award 2012, Corporate Governance & Sustainability Vision Award and Indira Gandhi Raj Bhasha Shield.
His concern for society is expounded by his multi-faceted initiatives, such as drinking water supply scheme to tribal villages, extension of medical & health care for poor and needy, solar energy projects at remote areas, promotion of community welfare & infrastructural development in peripheral villages, women empowerment and girl child education.
A staunch believer of vertical & horizontal growth for long term sustainability, Choudhary has taken strategic initiatives such as setting up the second largest Axle Plant and largest Forged Wheel Plant for Indian Railways, installation of Manufacturing Unit for Transmission Line Towers with Power Grid, setting up of Pelletization Plant and Fly ash based Cement Plant.
RINL is poised to scale further heights under his dynamic leadership and is well set to realize its vision of becoming a continuously growing world class company.